Thursday 8 March 2012

My Favourite Enamelled Sample


It's only a humble little copper sample but its MY copper sample and I'm going to keep it forever and ever!!
Wire was wrapped around a blank and manipulated with pliers to get the tension right before putting it through the roller. I could then treat it like a cloisonné piece and put enamel within the walls that the wire created. After firing it was then ground back to reveal the copper wire again. I could have fired and pickled it once more to get the gloss back but I prefer it matt. The combination of trapped air and over firing give little rusty coloured bubbles around the wire, and discolours the white opaque enamel to give green edging. to a professional enameller I would assume that these characteristics would be considered mistakes, but to me they are what makes the piece beautiful.  

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting, Steffi. I'd like to try something after the same fashion.
    regards
    Harry Nicholson
    at Whitby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is magnificent. The words you used to describe what you see had me view it on a different level. It's great when you make something so beautiful that YOU keep it.

    ReplyDelete