Thursday, 8 March 2012

My Favourite Enamelled Sample


It's only a humble little copper sample but its MY copper sample and I'm going to keep it forever and ever!!
Wire was wrapped around a blank and manipulated with pliers to get the tension right before putting it through the roller. I could then treat it like a cloisonné piece and put enamel within the walls that the wire created. After firing it was then ground back to reveal the copper wire again. I could have fired and pickled it once more to get the gloss back but I prefer it matt. The combination of trapped air and over firing give little rusty coloured bubbles around the wire, and discolours the white opaque enamel to give green edging. to a professional enameller I would assume that these characteristics would be considered mistakes, but to me they are what makes the piece beautiful.  

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting, Steffi. I'd like to try something after the same fashion.
    regards
    Harry Nicholson
    at Whitby

    ReplyDelete