Sunday, 25 September 2011
Sunday, 18 September 2011
Thursday, 15 September 2011
As I was moving house I finally managed to come across the sketchbook that goes with the ladybird in one of my first ever posts. I didn't realise that this blog is over a year old!!
Sunday, 4 September 2011
Sunday, 21 August 2011
I'm moving house this summer and can’t wait to get stuck into decorating. My new bedroom is lovely and spacious but has a rather uninspiring built in wardrobe which resembles cheap kitchen units with white plastic veneer. To improve its appearance, I removed the cracked door knobs and covered them in rounded crochet. It was just a simple way to coordinate it with the rest of my room. It's starting to grow on me now….
Friday, 8 July 2011
I made this pair while watching DVDs in Prague. The way they are made are a lot simpler than past crochet hand warmers on this blog, so I will put up a pattern or tutorial of some sort if anyone fancies making a pair of their own.
Tuesday, 5 July 2011
Biro is one of my favourite things to draw with, and my sibling is my favourite thing to look at, so why not combine both when I have half an hour to spare. I have managed to depict her gormless lack of enthusiasm towards sitting very still without speaking or moving her eyes rather well, though her lips and nose are too small. I am thankful that she is more pretty and sprightly in real life.
Thursday, 23 June 2011
If I’m honest it’s a garment that looks better on the hanger. I wanted a high waisted skirt that I can put over a vest top that doesn’t cut into me after I’ve had a good meal, but it doesn’t hang right, and makes me look a bit frumpy. I should have bought a bigger shirt so the skirt would be more gathered and poufy. However I’m quite pleased with how I made it – finally button holes that don’t fray or stretch!!!!! All I really did was cut across the shirt under the armpit and gather it up to my waist size with a loose running stitch. From the arms of the shirt I cut out the band and pressed in the seams so that the stitching I just made tucked into it nicely and sewn that on the machine. I added some extra button holes and dyed it in tea and salt and replaced the manky yellow buttons with shiny brown ones. I’ve made the fastening at the front so I can move the button hole after I had a few Yorkshire puddings. Next time I will make one out of a shirt like flannel, or something that hangs better and doesn’t crease so easily. Also, I cannot decide whether to cut off the shirt tails or not for a straight hem, or leave it as it is……feel free to comment!!
Here’s a link for a better made shirt-skirt with instructions.
Monday, 13 June 2011
Saturday, 4 June 2011
Tuesday, 31 May 2011
After the green thing I felt I should probably try making something a bit more developed than a blob with feet. I’m really happy with this first attempt, though I had trouble positioning the legs. Next time I will make another out of a finer thread to make the stitches less prominent.
Sunday, 29 May 2011
Sunday, 17 April 2011
Saturday, 16 April 2011
Over the next week or so I will be picking my favourite pages from these tiny journals that I made in conjunction with the Change Project. There are roughly 175 A6 pages to sift through but I'll only put up a hand full from each.
Friday, 15 April 2011
Saturday, 9 April 2011
Look what happened to my Embryo!!! I wanted it to be an onion shape and it turned into an apple. The shape isn’t as round and dumpy at the base as I had hoped, and looks more accidentally lopsided than asymmetrical. I personally think it’s a bit ugly but I will learn to love it somehow…..
Friday, 1 April 2011
Friday, 25 March 2011
This etching was a bit of an accident. I printed liquid resist onto the metal with a paper bun case, and after a couple of hours in Ferric Chloride it was briefly left in Liver of Sulphur (I think). Instead of the darkening effect it was supposed to give, the metal took on these weird petrol colours, which is how I found out it wasn’t copper I was using but in fact gilding metal.
Wednesday, 23 March 2011
A part of the Dining Project, I have been looking at onions a little bit, and so put a sort-of peeling onion skin design on this glass sample. The blown piece (also known as an embryo) consists of three layers of coloured and clear glass. The point of the exercise is to sandblast away an image onto the top layer to expose the colour underneath. It will then be reheated and blown to be a different shape. Goodness knows what it will look like in the end.....hopefully bigger, and round.